400g tin chickpeas or beans such as Borlotti, Kidney or Butterbeans, drained and rinsed
4 tbsp. sesame seeds
300g cooked mashed vegetables such as sweet potato, carrot or butternut squash
1tbsp olive oil
Squeeze lemon juice
Pinch of cumin, coriander or paprika for flavouring
½ tsp Chili flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
· Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
· Mash the beans or chickpeas as much as you can either with a potato masher in a bowl or with a hand mixer
· Add the mashed vegetables and garlic and any herbs, spices that you want to use.
· Mix well, add lemon juice, spices or pepper to your taste.
· The mixture then needs to be rolled into four burger-sized balls with wet hands. Flatten the balls slightly. If you like, you can coat them lightly with sesame seeds for extra crunch or breadcrumbs to reduce calories.
· Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on a baking tray and place the bean burgers on top and then turn them all over so that they have a coating of a little oil on each side.
· Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, turning the burgers over midway through cooking. Allow to cool a little before serving.
· Serve with a side salad of salad leaves, tomatoes and cucumber